is a tent-like enclosure made of netting that clips very simply under a Ray-Way Tarp
. We offer several designs and sizes, please see our Order Form
Ray-Way Tarp and 2P Quadratic (Net-Tent with zipper closure)
Ray-Way 2P Quadratic (Net-Tent with zipper closure)
We offer three basic types of Net-Tent kits (with various options)|
All three models look about the same, and have the same waterproof bathtub floor.
1) The Net-Tent with Door-Flap closure is the lightest, and also the easiest to sew by a wide margin. Recommended for blocking flying insects such as mosquitoes and back flies, and the vast majority of crawling ones. This version of the kit will make a one-person or a two-person Net-Tent.
Our Net-Tent with Door-Flap Closure comes without zippers to add simplicity and to save weight. To keep the bugs out, you simply lay the the netting headwall extension (door-flap) on the floor, and then place a few objects (water bottles, pillow, clothing bag, etc) on top of it, or you can tuck the door-flap under the floor. You can make an even better seal by placing the headwall extension flush with the edge of the bathtub extension of the floor, and rolling them both up a few times. Then you would place some weight (water bottles for example) on the roll to hold it in place. This method is very effective. But if camping in a place where the bugs are especially
numerous, you might prefer a zipper closure instead.
A 2P Net-Tent with zipper closure on Ray's 2011-Moto-Prudhoe trip.
2) The Quadratic (Net-Tent with zipper closure) would be the most suitable for most people, because it keeps the ticks out better than the flap version, and it is easier to sew than a Spitfire. The zipper version is a bit heavier than the door-flap version, due to the weight of the zippers - but not by much. And it takes a little more time to sew, again because of the zippers. But the design is very simple with only four pieces of netting to sew together (like the door-flap version). Order the one-person version, or the two-person version. Ray used a 2P Net-Tent with zipper closure on his 2011-Moto-Prudhoe trip.
We have recently re-designed our Net-Tent with zipper closure Kit, and named it the Quadratic. The name comes from a part of the math that we used in the design. Quadratic Formula Song.
The Quadratic Net-Tent is meant to be used under a Ray-Way Tarp. But it can also be used alone. Here, we have removed the Tarp, and pitched the Quadratic with the same poles and cords, although we had to use short (16") extension cords on the corner and side guys.
Our basic 2P Quadratic Kit (Net-Tent with zipper closure) has plenty of room for two people. If you want even more room, order a 2P Large kit (6" wider, 6" longer) or a 2P X-Large kit (12" wider, 12" longer)
2P Quadratic, view of interior.
Jenny and the 2P Quadratic
Quadratic (Net-Tent with Zipper Closure)
Large (6" wider, 6" longer) or X-Large kit (12" wider, 12" longer)
|1P Large||36"||87"|| |
|1P X-Large||42"||93"|| |
|2P Large||54"||87"|| |
|2P X-Large||60"||93"|| |
We are now offering a Quadratic Kit Sewing Video
The Spitfire version of the zippered Net-Tent, 11.6 oz.
3) The Spitfire version of the Net-Tent is a one-person netting enclosure designed to fit under a Ray-Way one-person tarp. It comprises 10 pieces of netting and extra seams for strength. And again it has a zipper closing door. This model is its more durable because of how the seams add strength, so it would be more suitable for a summer-long hike. However, it takes more time to sew.
Ray used a Spitfire on both his 2009 AT and 2010 thru-hikes, and on his TransAm-2010 cycling trip. Comes in a one-person version only. More info about the Spitfire Kit
See our Order Form
for more info.
The Ray-Way Tarp Book Essential
contains a wealth
of info about using a Ray-Way Net-Tent.
Ray demonstrates how he uses the Tarp and Net-Tent in his AT Gear Video
Contents of the Net-Tent Kit
Our Ray-Way Net-Tent Kit comes with full sewing instructions
The kit also contains the no-see-um netting for the roof, side walls, headwall and footwall; urethane or silicone nylon for the floor, and all the suspension lines, reinforcement material, cord locks and suspension hooks.
The cord locks included with this kit (for the adjustable suspension lines) were custom made expressly for Ray-Way Products to be small and lightweight.
Not included in the kit are sewing machine, thread, sewing notions, and sealing compound.
In addition to the kits, we are also selling what we consider to be the world's finest Sewing Thread
. This thread is not included in our kits, but is a separate item listed on our Order Form
A 2P X-Large Net-Tent in use during the 2011-Moto-Prudhoe trip.
* The completed one-person Net-Tent with a silicone floor weighs only 9.0 ounces!
* 1-P Net-Tent w/ zipper and urethane-coated floor (or Spitfire) weighs 11.6 oz.
* 2-P Net-Tent with urethane-coated floor: 19.1 oz.
* 2-P X-Large: 24.6 oz
However, in most cases the Net-Tent would serve also as the groundsheet. So when figuring your load and adding the weight of the Net-Tent, you would subtract the weight of the groundsheet. For a small Net-Tent, the resulting increase is minimal.
Note, too, that the Net-Tent can be used as a groundsheet - with or without the tarp - when the bugs are not a problem. Simply spread it on the ground, floor side down, fold the netting on top of the floor to keep the netting clean, and lay your insulating foam pad on the netting. This gives you an additional layer under your pad, for a little more comfort and warmth. This option can be especially attractive when carrying a minimal foam pad.
For more info about this, please refer to The Ray-Way Tarp Book Essential
Note that the Extra-Large 2-P Net-Tent with zipper closure fits under our standard size 2-P tarp. But because it is quite a bit heaver and more bulky that our standard size 2-P Net-Tent, it is designed primarily for car camping (or motorcycle camping) where its weight and bulk is not so much of an issue.
We offer two types of floor material for the
Net-Tent Flap-Closure, Quadratic (Zipper Closure), and Spitfire:
- Urethane-coated nylon
- Slicone-coated nylon
Please see our Order Form. We recommend urethane-coated nylon
, and we use this type floor on all our trips. It is a bit heavier than a floor made of silicone nylon, but much more durable and not as slippery against the ground. It is also more waterproof when pressed hard against the ground.
Most commercially manufactured tents come with urethane-coated floors.
Despite the weight increase, we use a urethane floor whenever we use a Net-Tent, which is on most of our trips. However, we are still offering floors of silicone nylon for the person more intent on saving the most weight.
Standard size two-person Net-Tent on our "CA Mountains & Coast" trip
Standard size two-person Net-Tent on our "CA Mountains & Coast" trip
Extra-Large Two-Person Net-Tent used during Ray's 2013-07-GDRx2
trip. This photo, and the one that follows, doesn't give a very good idea of how much larger the Extra-Large Net-Tent is, compared to the standard size. But the first time I used it, I found the size difference was huge.
Extra-Large Two-Person Net-Tent used during the 2013-07-GDRx2 trip.
See the next Page for more info about the Spitfire --->