Great Divide, ALCAN and Dalton, and Costal Highways
Motorcycling Adventure #2
40 days, 10,700 miles, Jun-Aug 2011
page 41 of 41
The haul road damaged the radiator grille, plugging it up with dura-mud and scale. This is what it looks like even after repeated high-pressure washings. It barely got me home.
Melly the Macaw enjoying some fruit. She is not doing a trick. She eats like this whenever we hand her food on a spoon or fork. She learned this from watching us. She doesn't live in her cage, but likes to hang out there for a few hours each day, with the door open.
The bike is a mess on the inside, but will clean up nicely.
I'm going after those valves. And changing spark pugs on my way in.
Good to have a shop (my garage) to work in. The garage is not insulated very well, so the temp is 92 degrees. But better than working on the street somewhere.
The top-end looks pretty clean inside.
Checking the valve clearances. They didn't need adjusting, even though I have put over 24,000 miles on the engine.
Torquing the valve cover back on.
New radiator going in. And of course the bike gets a new air filter.
I like to do my own wrenching where possible, rather than relying on a pro to do the work. This is my first season of motorcycle work, but I have rebuilt five car engines from the ground up (three VW's in the old days and two V8's), plus a Perkins 108 diesel (on our sailboat, Suka).
The engine is back together and running fine. I still have much work to do on the bike to get it back up to Ray-Way standards I'm having fun, I like these kind of projects.
Burrs in the clutch cable. The bike gets a new one of those. Amazing the difference in the shifting - now smooth as silk.
Back from a test ride, it runs great!
Now to get at those front forks. The Haul Road ruined the oil seals.
My method of depressing the spring retainer to get at the snap ring.
On my shop floor: A front fork from the inside out.
While I had the front brakes off, I took the brake pads off for close inspection. Remarkably, the pads still have most of their life left, even though I have never changed them. They are the original items when the bike was new, four years ago. So I cleaned the pads and calipers, lubed the slider pin, and put everything back together.
Back together and out for a ride.
The rear sprocket shows lots of wear, compared to a new one.
Front sprocket, oh dear!
Installing the new chain.
Close-up of the chain riveting tool.
The new ff dust covers have come in, so I'm installing them. This is surprisingly fast and easy if you know how, and have the right tools.