Bicycling the TransAmerica Trail

Cycling Across the US, Coast to Coast

Bicycling Adventure #3

54 days, 3,783 miles, Jul-Aug 2010

Ray Jardine

2010-08-05Wyoming page 21 of 54

Day 21, Wyoming

From Lander to Jefferson.

I was all set to depart, until last night my "smart" phone ate my photos. So this morning I had to wait until 9:00 am when the radio shack opened, so that I could buy a replacement SD card. (The original card I then send home, and later recovered the photos with computer software.) Then after a few more errands, it was not until 10:30 when I left town.

The new bike pedaled a great deal better, but still I crossed my fingers at mile seven when I came to the hill that ate my last spoke. But the new bike went up the hill with no problems. At that point I felt that I was on my way.

The hill where I had broken the spoke, and the pullout where I had made the temporary repair.

25 miles out of town I saw a person on a bike headed the other way, and waved. The next thing I knew he was following me, and coming on fast. I thought, "What the heck?" He must have something important to tell me, possibly about the conditions ahead. I pulled over and came to a stop. Then I recognized him. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was Ed.

"Out for a morning's ride," he said. "It's my day off. I've been looking for you all morning. I've been up to Sweetwater City. Saw Jack up there."

Ed posing with my new bike. Out for a morning's ride, he pedaled 60 miles that day, from Lander and return. A former triathlete, he explained.

I explained that I got a late start because of the smart-phone problem. We stood in the sun talking for a good 20 minutes or more, like long lost friends.

I'll tell you, the people I've been meeting on this trip have been something else. And Ed is at top of the list. In my book "Trail Life" I featured this quote by some other writer: "When you have a taste for exceptional people you always end up meeting them everywhere."

The remainder of the afternoon seemed to drag on, because of the heat, the treeless, open scenery, and because I hadn't rested well in town. There was so much to be done. So that afternoon I decided to stop at Jefferson City, to get some more rest.

Reaching Jefferson, I saw four bikes parked in the shade, so I went into the café and found my four friends, only one of which I had met. I had seen the others in town yesterday. In the café they had a table piled with empty soda cans. "You had a head start," I remarked, "now its my turn," as I opened my first soda - of five.

After a while, a young woman pedaled up, and joined our little group. And what an eclectic group it was. Rita (red shirt) was from Rhode Island, one couple was from New Zealand, Jack was from Australia and his wife from Ireland.

Someone local offered that we could camp across the street, near an open pavilion, so we moved to there, set up our shelters, cooked and ate dinner (I ate my sandwich), and enjoyed each others company.

The Jefferson pavilion. Years ago Jack's father had biked the TransAmearica; his bike is the one with white sidewalls.

The others are pitching their tents in the hot sun.

I pitched my tarp in the shade.

One of Rita's home-made panniers. Not for me, but quite clever I thought.

Miles pedaled today: 63

The story has 54 pages. This is page 21.
<---- Previous page   Next Page ---->
<< First page   Last page >>

Previous Article
 2010 AT 
Copyright © 2018
27,307,726 visitors
PLEASE DO NOT COPY these photos and pages to other websites. Thank you!